Cod With Artichokes And Chickpeas

I happen to love this recipe.  My husband and son have never raved about it before.  They are not the biggest fan of  the veggies, but they love the fish. (And they said it was perfectly cooked. (Blush)) I didn't change it much, but I did make a few alterations.  I added a bit more veggies. I also only used 5 oz fish fillets and only three of them.  I added the garlic  a little later than called for too. I went light on the salt because I didn't know how salty it would be once the broth reduced.  I figured we could add at the table.  My husband and I skipped it even though a sprinkle would have been nice.  The boy however wanted salt.  We usually sprinkle a pinch of kosher salt if needed.  That salt was out of his reach; the shaker was not however.  He WAY over salted his.  My husband kept saying, " I hope you learned your less son."  I don't think he did!


Cod With Artichokes And Chickpeas
Yield: 4 Servings

2 T  Unsalted butter
1/4 c  extra virgin olive oil
1    small white onion,[or 4  shallots] sliced 1/2 inch thick
One 9oz box of artichoke hearts thawed and pressed dry
1/4 lb shiitake mushrooms,stems
  removed and quartered [or more]
2    carrots cut into ½ inch pieces
2    garlic cloves,thinly sliced
One 15oz can of chickpeas drained
1 c  of chicken stock
Salt and pepper
2 T  chopped flat leaf parsley
2 T  snipped chives
4    six oz cod filets
Lemon wedges for serving
[Note: Wine: Crisp Gruner Veltliner from Austria  ]
1.In a large skillet, melt the  butter and 2 tbsp of the olive oil.
Add the onion, artichokes, shiitakes, carrots and garlic.  Cook over
moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 7
minutes.  Add the chickpeas and stock, season with salt and pepper, and
bring to a boil.  Simmer over low heat until the vegetables are tender
and the liquid is nearly evaporated, 5minutes.  Stir in the parsley and
chives and keep warm.
2.In a large nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 2 tbsp of olive oil
until almost smoking.  [coat the fish with flour] season the cod with
salt and pepper, add to the skillet and cook over high heat until well
browned on the bottom, about 6 minutes.  Carefully flip the fish and
cook until they are white through, about another 36 minutes.
3.Spoon the veggies into shallow bowls and top with seared cod fillets.
Serve with lemon wedges.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce