Date Night!!!

We got a date night!!!  My mother in law was visiting us, so we got to go out to eat, just the husband and I.  I have been dying to try Cress.  I first found it on Yelp a long time ago.  Recently, the chef was nominated for a James Beard Award, so now I am doubly excited.  I got dressed like it was a proper date, wanting to look nice for my man.  My son tells me as soon as the make up is on, "Mom you look really nice!", my mother in law tells me I look really beautiful.  I said thank you and now everyone has told me but the husband.  Well the drive to Cress is about 35 minutes.  Half way there, my husband gets a text.  As he is driving, he hands it to me to read it to him.  It is from his mom.  It says have fun and tell your wife she looks beautiful.  (now i would be remiss to fail to mention that as we got in the car he did say I looked good)  We both chuckle at the fact that I am reading it to him.  He says tell her OK; I text back, "OK I will tell him".  We find this hysterical!  When we finally arrive at the restaurant, we have a bit of an issue with parallel parking.  It wouldn't have been bad except for the two college students sitting on a bench right next to the spot watching. (They were actually really nice and helpful with some directions)  The restaurant was nicely decorated, and the staff was really great.  The food was amazing.  The chef's amuse was a fried wanton with manchengo cheese and an apple relish.  It was really great and made us very excited for the upcoming meal.  For an appetizer, we ordered the grilled naan with caramelized onions, blue Alfredo and balsamic reduction.  It was good, and we ate it all, but it didn't make us want to stop and call someone to let them know how great it was.  The entrees did!  My husband had the nightly special of a buffalo rib eye.  It was served with a Yukon gold gratin, fried parsnips and some kind of red wine reduction.  It was really good.  I had the fish of the day, snowy grouper.  (I think snowy, I knew I should have taken notes!)  It was locally caught off of cape Canaveral.  I had it herb crusted (panko and parsley) and sauced with their citrus beurre blanc.  I got the grits (at the server's recommendation) as my starch.  OMG!!!  The grits were really that good.  The fish was cooked perfectly. The beurre blanc made me want to swim in it. If I were to have any criticism at all, and believe me it didn't upset me the dish was that good, was that the veggies were cooked to the point that they were mushy. (I also like a bit more veg with my meal but hey if I must...)  I can't wait to go back.
Amuse
Fish of the day with grits and beurre blanc
Daily special of Buffalo rib eye and Potato gratin





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce