Labor Day Cookout with Friends

Well tonight I had it so easy!  My darling friend and their wonderful family invited the clan over for a cookout.  We had some delicious burgers, beans, cheesy cauliflower, veggies, chips and a ton of other things that I can only assumed were cooked for the army that didn't show up.  I felt like a total slacker only showing up with a bottle of wine, chocolate cake and Prosciutto and fontina pinwheels.  (I forgot my husband's beer, but they kindly provided theirs:)  Since I bought the cake from the always wonderful Publix bakery (I am no baker) and since I did not bottle the wine, I can only provide the recipe to the pinwheels.  I wanted to make something for tonight, so I looked on the F & W website.  I found this recipe under the make ahead appetizers.  It was pretty tasty.  I think I need to perfect my technique.  They didn't puff, and I expected them too.  (they are made from PUFF pastry after all)  I like this recipe because it was super easy and I can see it working well with many fillings so long as they aren't too moist. Forgive me the crappy picture, I forgot all about taking a picture until there was one lonely one left.  I am excited about this recipe becasue I love make ahead, on hand party treats.

Prosciutto-Fontina Pinwheels
      1    Fourteen ounce package all-butter puff pastry,thawed if frozen    -but still cold
      3    ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
    3/4 c  shredded Fontina cheese
           Freshly ground pepper
      1    egg beaten with 1 1/2 teaspoons of water
1. On a floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry to a 10 1/2-
by-15- inch rectangle; halve lengthwise. Top the halves with the
prosciutto and Fontina, leaving a 1/2-inch border along the far edge of
each piece. Season with pepper. Starting at the near edge, tightly roll
the halves of pastry into logs. Brush the borders with the egg wash and
pinch to seal. Transfer the logs to a large baking sheet and freeze for
30 minutes until firm.
2. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Working with 1 log
at a time, trim the uneven ends. Cut the log crosswise 1/4 inch thick.
Set the pinwheels 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Freeze until
firm.  Preheat the oven to 375. Bake the pinwheels for 20 minutes,
until golden. Cut the remaining logs, then freeze and bake the
pinwheels; serve.
Make Ahead The frozen sliced pinwheels can be transferred to a
resealable plastic bag and frozen for up to 1 month.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce