Rigatoni With Summer Squash, Spicy Sausage & Goat Cheese

Tonight's dish is another family favorite.  I find this dish amazing for so many reasons.  First of all, I don't care for sasuage; the boys don't care for squash, yet somehow we all like this dish.  It is a perfect example that you should never say never when it comes to ingredients.  Sometimes it will be the quality that has put you off in the past.  (not true here for us becasue it's the same products we have been buying)   Sometimes it will be improper preperation.  (I do credit the recipe here a little but it is still me cooking it so that does keep it fairly consistent)  But most often it is just the recipe.  This one makes all the peices work.  I think I got this dish from the Fine Cooking emails, but I think I also saw it on the food and wine website so...  It is from Scott Conant.  I thought I was going to hate this guy when I saw him on Chopped, but now that I have seen him on other things, he seems like a really cool guy.  I haven't had a bad recipe from him yet, and he is responsible for some of our favorites.  I also adore him for teaching me how salty pasta water should be.  I had always given it a dash or two in the giant pot of water.  I read that he said it should be as salty as a stock.  It has made all the difference. I will also note here, get a microplane.  They are so handy for zest, nutmeg, etc..., but I love the airy curls it makes of Parmigian cheese.  It is just perfect and so pretty.
My beloved Microplane
Airy shreds:)

Rigatoni With Summer Squash, Spicy Sausage & Goat Cheese
Kosher salt
1 lb dried rigatoni
3    Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 lb bulk hot Italian sausage (or links,casings removed)
1/3 c  finely chopped shallots (about 3 medium)
2 c  3/4-inch-diced yellow and green summer squash
3 oz fresh goat cheese,crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
2 t  finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 c  grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (optional)

Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil over high heat. Put
the rigatoni in the boiling water and cook until just shy of al dente,
about 10 minutes.
While the pasta cooks, heat 1/2 Tbs. of the oil in a 12-inch skillet
over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking it into
pieces with a spatula or spoon, until it's almost cooked through, 3 to
5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a bowl. Pour
the fat out of the skillet but do not wipe it clean. Heat the remaining
2- 1/2 Tbs. oil in the skillet over medium heat and cook the shallots
until they begin to soften, about 1 minute. Raise the heat to medium
high and add the squash. Cook, stirring frequently, until the squash is
barely tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta-cooking water and drain the rigatoni.
Return the rigatoni to its cooking pot and add the sausage, the squash
mixture, and 2 Tbs. of the reserved pasta water. Toss over medium heat
until the sausage is cooked through and the rigatoni is perfectly al
dente, about 3 minutes. Add more of the pasta water as necessary to
keep the dish moist.
Remove from the heat, add the goat cheese and parsley, and toss until
the cheese melts and coats the pasta. Season to taste with salt and
pepper, transfer to warm shallow bowls, and top each serving with some
of the grated Parmigiano, if using.
Serving Suggestions
Serve with simple Bruschetta with Herbed Tomatoes as a starter.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce