Tilapia With Balsamic Browned Butter And Creamy Farfalle With Bacon, Tomato

Well I am going to start off by saying right now I am totally prejudice when it comes to this recipe but I'm still going to be a catty... witch because I don't feel like being tactful.  I try to always be diplomatic when it come to the recipes.  First of all, someone may like them.  I just personally may not care for them, and while that is OK, there is no need to slam the recipe.  Two, these people are paid to cook or teach cooking for a living, were I am simply a good home cook, so who am I to criticize their work with anything but a kind eye?  I cannot extend that courtesy here.  Let me start at the beginning.  I have had this recipe hanging around for a long time.  I know I originally put it in to the 'to try' database because I have been looking to find a way to replicate a fish with brown butter dish I had a long time ago.  Long before I was interested in cooking and eating well.  This recipe is from a chef I usually do not care much for. (personally or her recipes)  I didn't realize this when I started cooking it, and I can't believe I knew this when I added it to my list of 'to tries".  I was happily cooking along when to my horror I realized I was cooking a Rachael Ray recipe!  (I know I have just made a bunch of you hate me, as for some reason she is a media darling)  This shocking revelation came when I saw the words, "return to a bubble!"  Oh crud, I am cooking a recipe from the mad woman who has given (nay cursed) us with the culinary slang: "evoo, sammy and of course bubble."  It is enough to make me sick, but that and her (IMHO) mediocre recipes aren't enough to make me dislike her enough to forget to be tactful.  No, the nail in that coffin was her budget dining out show where she was always advocating tipping less than the proper amount so her stupid show could come in under a set dollar amount. All I have to say about that is EXPLETIVE you!  (I'm about to rant because I was a server in college, so if you need to, skip to the next paragraph:)  First of all, servers make almost nothing.  It is true it depends on where you are, but still it is such a demanding, emotionally draining. thankless job, it deserves more than minimum wage.  In the 90's, when I was serving, I made $2.13 an hour.  I believe it still the national minimum but now, here in Florida, it is about $4.25.  The fact that she skimps on the tip so she can have the show work our mathematically is just plain ridiculous.  She doesn't even base her tip on service but how much she splurged?  Very low rent Rachel! If that isn't enough, or if you don't realize why that is so wrong, let me let you in on server life. In order for us to earn our tip, in many customer's eyes, we are responsible for so much.  But, in reality we only have actual control over how we treat you. We don't cook the food, we aren't responsible if there is ample supply of the product you want, and we have to take abuse from you the customer and the kitchen in equal measure AND take it with good grace. You can tell a lot about a person by how they tip.  (I think it would make an interesting thesis actually.)  If all that isn't enough for you, the government takes taxes out of the meager hourly wage you receive based on the premise that you are actually making a tip. That to me says that is a cultural expectation.  I do think you should tip based on service, but how many who have never worked in a restaurant know just what is the server's fault and not one of the many other people in the restaurant who still get their much higher wage no matter how crappy your experience was.
     OK rant over;).  That out of the way, my take on this recipe.  First of all, I didn't like that it said 1 can of tomatoes.  What size?  (unless San Marzano tomatoes only come in one size, but I have seen proper executive chefs specify a size in their recipes, and your is your job it to teach those who my not know how to cook.  That's all I'm saying)  Second of all, I didn't add the mushrooms, onions and garlic all at once as the recipe specified.  Sliced mushrooms are going to take much longer to saute than grated garlic.  The garlic would burn and that is not tasty.  I started with the mushrooms, added the onion later and then the garlic at the last minute.  I also added a lot more mascarpone.  It was not even noticeable in the original amounts. (or maybe it would have been if I knew the original amount of tomatoes)   The most heinous crime was the brown butter.  Here I followed her instructions exactly.  (maybe the vague nature is to blame instead of lack of skill) The butter was black.  Partly due to the balsamic vinegar, but not only.  It was a burnt, mealy, gross mess.  We threw it out.  I don't think I can claim ownership of this error, even though  I always assume it my fault just because, since I kept thinking that this isn't right, but kept on following the brown butter instructions to a T just because I figured the recipe was correct. The pasta was OK.  I thought we couldn't taste all the good things that went into it.  The bacon was barely noticeable, the mascarpone  invisible, the tomatoes were the most noticeable.  Why use all those good tasty ingredients only to not taste them.  OK.  I know I was harsh.  I usually say that the dish had a good personally and let it go at that, I just couldn't do that today.


Tilapia With Balsamic Browned Butter And Creamy Farfalle With Bacon, Tomato
4 Servings

 Salt
 1 lb farfalle,bow ties
 3 T  extra-virgin olive oil divided
5 sl center cut bacon,chopped
1   medium onion,chopped
2    to 3 grated garlic cloves
1    bay leaf
12    white mushrooms,thinly sliced
1 cn San Marzano tomatoes
4    (6 to 8-ounce) tilapia fillets
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c  all-purpose flour
1    (10-ounce) box frozen peas
1/4 c  mascarpone cheese
3 T  butter
1/4 c  balsamic vinegar
1/2 c  basil leaves,shredded or torn
Heat a pot of water to a boil, salt the water and cook pasta to al
dente.

Heat a deep large skillet with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil over
medium-high heat. Add bacon and crisp 3 to 4 minutes. Add onions,
garlic,  bay leaf and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook
until tender but not browned, 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, crush them up
with a wooden spoon and simmer 15 minutes on low heat.

Season the fish with salt and pepper. Dust fish with flour and shake
off excess.

Heat 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet over
medium high heat. Cook fish 4 minutes on each side.

While fish cooks, stir peas into sauce, return to bubble and stir in
mascarpone cheese. Adjust seasoning.

Remove fish from skillet to a platter and cover loosely with foil to
keep warm. Reduce heat to medium and add butter to pan. Brown butter, 2
to 3 minutes, stir in balsamic and simmer 1 to 2 minutes to reduce by
half. Pour the brown butter and vinegar over fish.

Drain pasta, toss with sauce and wilt basil into pasta.

Serve fish with pasta alongside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce