Double-Baked Cheese Soufflé With Parmesan Cream

It's a big day for me, I have officially made my first souffle!!  My darling husband has made one before and it was very good, but daunting to me because I am totally not the precise, science project cook that makes good bakers.  I like to have a little wiggle room.  However, I poured myself a glass of wine and decided to have a stab at it.  While everyone loved it, I was worried in the process because there were a few deviations I made.  Some intentional, some just because it seemed to be prudent. First of all, I couldn't find Comté cheese.  I quick online search suggested Gruyere.  (http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Dictionary/C/Comte-cheese-6013.aspx) Well for a block of Gruyere the size of two decks of cards was $17! Well I didn't want to ruin pricey cheese with my first souffle attempt, and I just don't want dinner to cost that much. I would have needed all of it. I opted for the fancy publix Swiss cheese over the regular Publix Swiss ($4.99)  I also cooked it a little less because it seemed done.  I didn't need to broil it either because the bottom was brown already.  Really a great meal and I can't wait until I make another souffle.  Thing I liked best about this souffle recipe is that it didn't require an extra egg white. (or is it a extra yolk?) Had a salad with it with the dressing recipe below.  This is going to be one of the favorite as far as salad dresssings go.


Double-Baked Cheese Soufflé With Parmesan Cream

Soufflé
6 T  unsalted butter,plus more for greasing
1/2 c  freshly grated
Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (2 ounces),plus more for dusting
6 T  all-purpose flour
1    garlic clove,peeled
1 c  milk
1/2 c  shredded Comté cheese
Salt and freshly ground
white pepper
4    large eggs,separated
Parmesan cream
1/2 c  heavy cream
1/4 c  milk
1/3 c  shredded Comté cheese
1/3 c  freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (1 1/2 ounces)
Salt and freshly ground
white pepper
[Note: Fresh, green apple–inflected sparkling wine ]
1. MAKE THE SOUFFLE Preheat the oven to 375. Butter an 8-inch square
glass baking dish and dust with Parmigiano-Reggiano. In a saucepan,
melt the 6 tablespoons of butter. Whisk in the flour and garlic and
cook over moderate heat for 2 minutes. Add the milk and whisk until
thickened, 2 minutes. Discard the garlic. Add the Comt and the 1/2 cup
of Parmigiano- Reggiano. Season with salt and white pepper. Transfer to
a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add the yolks and pulse again;
transfer the cheese mixture to a large bowl. Rinse out the food
processor bowl.
2. In a clean bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites at
high speed until soft peaks form. Thoroughly fold the egg whites into
the cheese mixture. Scrape the batter into the prepared dish and smooth
the surface. Bake for about 30 minutes, until risen and golden. Let the
souffl cool for 10 minutes.
3. MEANWHILE, MAKE THE PARMESAN CREAM In a saucepan, bring the cream
and milk to a boil; transfer to the food processor. Add the Comt and
Parmigiano-Reggiano and let stand for 5 minutes. Process until smooth.
Season with salt and white pepper.
4. Turn on the broiler. Invert the souffle onto a baking sheet and
broil 8 inches from the heat for 30 seconds, until golden. Slice the
souffle and serve with the parmesan cream.

Creamy Garlic Dressing
2 T  prepared mayonnaise
3 T  red wine vinegar
1 T  fresh lemon juice
1 T  Dijon mustard
2 ea garlic,smashed
1 c  olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Combine mayonnaise, vinegar, lemon juice, mustard and garlic in a
blender and blend until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil until
emulsified and season with salt and pepper to taste

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce