Hot Brown

Well I have wanted to try this sandwich for a while, and I got a recipe for it in an email the other day.  Well I didn't keep the one from the email because I wanted to try what is supposed to be the original.  This is from the Brown Hotel website.  I didn't have all Romano so I used some parm.  I used chicken since that is what we had from thanksgiving.  I also used half cream and half 1/2 & 1/2 because that was what I had on hand. Also I used 4 slices of bread and more chicken making 4 open faced sandwiches.  I still had twice as much sauce as needed.  I will also make sure I have super thick bread next time.  I would have liked more tomatoes because they cut the richness of the sauce.  I also think I would like some heat.

Legendary Hot Brown Recipe
2 Servings

2 oz Whole Butter
2 oz All Purpose Flour
1 qt Heavy Cream
1/2 c  Pecorino Romano Cheese,Plus1 Tablespoon for Garnish
Salt & Pepper to Taste
14 oz Sliced Roasted Turkey Breast
2 sl of Texas Toast (Crust Trimmed)
4 sl of Crispy Bacon
2    Roma Tomatoes,Sliced in Half
           Paprika,Parsley
In a two-quart saucepan, melt butter and slowly whisk in flour until
combined and forms a thick paste (roux). Continue to cook roux for two
minutes over medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Whisk whipping cream
into the roux and cook over medium heat until the cream begins to
simmer,  about 2-3 minutes. Remove sauce from heat and slowly whisk in
Pecorino Romano cheese until the Mornay sauce is smooth. Add salt and
pepper to taste.
For each Hot Brown, place one slice of toast in an oven safe dish and
cover with 7 ounces of turkey. Take the two halves of Roma tomato and
set them alongside the base of turkey and toast. Next, pour one half of
the Mornay sauce to completely cover the dish. Sprinkle with additional
Pecorino Romano cheese. Place entire dish under a broiler until cheese
begins to brown and bubble. Remove from broiler, cross two pieces of
crispy bacon on top, sprinkle with paprika and parsley, and serve
immediately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce