Two New Pizzas

Well I felt like pizza again, but as I am determined to do this blog every day (and have only missed a few on the days we have eaten out), and I don't want to repeat recipes, I had to search for new toppings.  I am actually enjoying the process of forcing myself and my family out of our comfortable rut of a couple dozen favorite recipes and trying stuff that we may not have, despite the fact that the recipes sound like ones we might like.  I did not plan quite as well as I should have.  In a brief scan of the Onion, Gorgonzola and Bacon pizza, I read 12 (yes 12!) cups of sliced onion as 1/2 so I didn't have but 2 when time came to cook the pizza.  (it was still good but 12 would be better:)  Also, the Salmon Pizza called for 2.5oz of smoked salmon, and I had 3oz, but it wasn't enough.  I guess I should have weighed my dough.  I think I made too large a pizza for the "sauce" and toppings.  Well I absolutely LOVED the caramelized onion one.  (un-freaking-believable); the salmon one was just alright.  I would have liked it better with more salmon.  Also, I don't like to buy caviar from unsustainable sources and the tastier of these are not available at my local market so the caviar was not the delightful addition it could have been.  That being said, the pizza was tasty.  I added capers to it and it made all the difference.  I ate it the next morning, cold, ala bagels and lox.  I think it was better.  I did add the capers again.  Next time I think I will also add sliced or diced tomatoes. The dill cream is really good, but I recommend making it several hours early because the rest time in the fridge really takes the bite out of the shallots. Oh and one more thing not related to the recipes.  I love this website and app I have found: pepperplate.com.  It lets you access your recipes on your phone.  Downside: have to enter recipes again.

Caramelized Onion Pizza With Gorgonzola, Bacon And Arugula

4 sl bacon,chopped
2 t  olive oil
12 c  onions,thinly sliced
2 t  fresh rosemary,chopped & divided
1/2 t  salt
1/4 t  black pepper
1    (12 inch) Boboli pizza crusts
1/2 c  Gorgonzola,crumbled
2 T  walnuts,coarsely chopped
1 c  arugula,trimmed
1.Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until
crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 teaspoons drippings. Set
bacon aside.
2.Add oil to bacon drippings in skillet over medium-high heat. Add
onion, and saute 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3.Stir in 1 teaspoon rosemary, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking 15 to
20 minutes or until onion is a deep golden brown, stirring frequently.
4.Preheat oven to 400.
5.Place pizza crust on 12-inch pizza pan. Top with onion. Add cheese
and walnuts; bake 7-10 minutes or until cheese melts.
6.Remove from oven; top with 1 teaspoon rosemary, reserved bacon and
arugula.


Pizza With Smoked Salmon And Caviar

6    ounces Pizza Dough (see separate recipe)
1 T  Chili and Garlic Oil (see-Sauces & Dressings)
1/4 c  thinly sliced red onion
2 T  Dill Cream (see Sauces & Dressings)
2 1/2    ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
1 t  chopped fresh chives
1 T  Sevruga caviar,optional
[Note: W Puck]
1.Instructions for Pizza with Smoked Salmon and Caviar Recipe
2.Place a pizza stone on the middle rack of the oven and preheat the
oven to 500F.
3.On a lightly floured surface, stretch or roll out the dough into an 8-
inch circle, with the outer edge a little thicker than the inner
circle. Brush the dough with the oil and arrange the onions over the
pizza. Slide a pizza paddle or rimless baking sheet under the pizza and
then slide the pizza onto the pizza stone. Bake until the crust is
golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
4.With the pizza paddle or a large spatula, carefully remove the pizza
from the oven and set it on a cutting board. Use a knife, an icing
spatula, or the back of a spoon to spread the Dill Cream over the inner
circle. Arrange the slices of salmon so that they cover the entire
pizza, slightly overlapping the raised rim. Sprinkle the chopped chives
over the salmon. Using a pizza cutter or a large sharp knife, cut the
pizza into 4 or 6 slices. If you like, spoon a little caviar in the
center of each slice. Serve immediately.

Dill Cream 1 1/2 cups Sour cream 3 tablespoons Minced shallots 2
tablespoons Fresh dill leaves, chopped 1 1/2 tablespoons Fresh lemon
juice 1/4 teaspoon Freshly ground white pepper Method 1. In a medium
bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix well. 2. Cover with plastic
wrap and refrigerate until ready to use
Chili And Garlic Oil 1    Whole head garlic (about 2  ½ ounces,cloves separated and peeled)
2 c  Extra virgin olive oil 1 T  Red pepper flakes Instructions 1. In a small saucepan, combine the garlic cloves and olive oil. Bring
to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to maintain a bare simmer and cook until the garlic turns golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
Keep a close watch: If the garlic gets too dark, the oil will have a bitter taste.
2. Let the oil cool, then stir in the red pepper flakes. Leave at room temperature for at least 2 hours to let the flavors blend. Strain the
oil into a clean glass container, cover, and refrigerate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce