Black-Eyed Pea Vegan Burgers

I was looking for a use for the second of  my bogo fresh black eyed peas.  The first of which was cooked with escarole for new year's day.  My boy loves burgers, so I was hoping that this would be a dish he'd like. I was worried, despite his love of burgers because of the mushrooms in the burger. As I am serving it to him, he made several nice remarks about how everything I cook is delicious. Oh except the stuff with mushrooms he declares. Oh crud I think. Will he see the mushrooms? I chopped them rather than sliced them to disguise them. However he is a positive super sleuth when it comes to ferreting out his two forbidden 'veto' ingredients I allow him to opt out of. (they have changed, but right now they are mushrooms and cauliflower)  It seems my worries were for naught; he declared it a favorite. The burgers held together fairly well during the cooking but fell apart completely when eating.  It was a delicious mess. I didn't use the vegan rolls, I had some buns on hand, so I used them.  It was pretty quick too.
Black-Eyed Pea Vegan Burgers

3 T  vegetable oil
6    medium cremini mushrooms (about 4 ounces),cleaned, stemmed, and sliced 1/4 inch thick
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1    medium shallot,finely  chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
1    medium garlic clove,minced
1    (15-ounce) can black-eyed peas,drained and rinsed
1    medium scallion,thinly sliced (white and light green part
2 T  finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and stems
1/2 t  tamari,plus more as needed
1/4 t  Tabasco Sauce,plus more as needed
4    toasted vegan ciabatta or burger rolls,for serving
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat
until shimmering. Add the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and
cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add
the shallot and garlic and cook until fragrant and softened, about 2
minutes. Transfer the mushroom mixture to a small bowl and wipe the pan
clean with paper towels; set aside.
Place the peas in a large bowl and mash with the back of a spoon or a
potato masher, leaving a few of the peas intact. Add the mushroom
mixture, scallion, cilantro, tamari, and Tabasco and mix until combined.
Taste and season with more salt, pepper, tamari, and Tabasco as needed.
Using your hands, form the mixture into 4 (3-inch-wide) patties (about
1/3 cup each).
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the reserved frying pan over
medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the patties and fry until the
outsides are browned, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Serve on toasted
ciabatta or burger rolls with your favorite toppings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce