Mexi Pizza

Well, I was thinking of ways to use up the chorizo I had left from the shrimp dish and use up some of the cheese I bought way too much of for the mac and cheese.  I was thinking of whipping up some kind of mexi pizza.  So, I started out chopping celery and onion for my black bean recipe, only to find out that I didn't have a can of black beans.  I did, however, have some refried beans (vegetarian). I figured they would work too, so into the pot they were thrown. I am quite pleased with the result.  I think I put a but too much cheese so I reduced the amount in the recipe.  Also It is easy to put too much beans.  I think I did but didn't reduce the amount here.  Haven't gotten feed back from my husband yet, but the boy liked it too. It could easily be made meat free by omiting the chorizo.


Mexi Pizza
1 pound Pizza dough
1 1/2  tablespoons  Olive oil
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped, reserve about 1/4 of it
2 tablespoons tomato, crushed, puree, sauce or ketchup will work
2 small chorizo, dry kind, casing removed and diced
1/4 onion, thinly sliced
3 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
3 ounces Monterrey jack cheese, grated
1/2 cup, cilantro sprigs
24 pickled jalapeno slices



I get my dough from the deli section of the supermarket.  It needs to rise an hour before using so I take it out first. Put a pizza stone in the oven and preheat oven to 500
For the "sauce":
Saute the celery and onion, leaving the reserved part for later,  (sprinkle them with 1/2 tsp kosher salt) in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, until soft.
Add the refried beans and a can full of water, and stir until the beans are no longer solid.
Cook over medium low heat about 30 minutes.
Puree with an immersion blender until most of the chunks of veggies are gone.
For the Toppings
saute the chorizo in 1/2/ tablespoon olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes, add the onion and cook until the onion is soft.  Drain the chorizo and onion in a strainer to remove as much oil as possible.  Let it drain until ready to use.
For the Pizza:
Roll out dough into a 14" round
Remove the stone and place on a heat proof surface
Place the dough on top of the stone and spread with about a cup of the "sauce" mixture. Reserve the rest for a later use or for dipping the crusts.
Sprinkle each cheese evenly over the top of the "sauce"
Sprinkle the chorizo and sauteed onion mixture over the top of the cheese
Sprinkle the raw onion slices over the top of the pizza
Put the stone and pizza back into the oven, on the bottom rack, and set timer for 5 minutes
After 5 minutes, check the pizza. If it isn't golden brown at the crust and the cheese nice and bubbly, add a minute at a time until done.  Mine usually take about 7 minutes, but ovens, thickness of crust and a million other things keep this from being a firm time.
Take out of oven and place on large cutting board.  Let cool 10 minutes.
Cut into 8 wedges and sprinkle cilantro over the top.  Place 3 jalapenos on each slice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce