Vietnamese-Style Banh Mi Burgers

I like to vary our diet more than this, but the confusion over the meatballs has lead me to overstock on ground beef. (pork too but that is for another day)  I had everything else I needed for this recipe except the baguette.I had a small amount of pickled jalapenos too.  It is at this point that I begin quoting A team. "I love it when a plan comes together!" Not only was it a ingredient perfect storm, my family and I LOVE bahn mi so I figured this would be a good one to try. For no other reason, this spicy mayo makes the recipe a must have.  The burgers were tasty, but they are no Banh Mi.  For me the Banh Mi are in a class almost all by themselves.  The burgers were delicious, but they had all these little things that keep them from being world class in my book.  They WILL be made again.  They are very good, but for me I need to think of them as burgers not bahn mi or the will fall short of my expectations. Oh and I used red curry powder.  I was out of  'curry powder,' but I think this was the best possible choice for curry powders.

Vietnamese-Style Banh Mi Burgers

2    carrots,coarsely shredded
1/4 c  unseasoned rice vinegar
1 T  sugar
1/2 c  mayonnaise
2 T  Tabasco
2 t  tomato paste
1    garlic clove,minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 lb ground beef chuck
1 1/2 t  curry powder
2 T  vegetable oil
2 T  unsalted butter,softened
One 24-inch baguette  quartered crosswise and split
2    pickled jalapeƱos,thinly sliced
12    cilantro sprigs
[Note: .  Spicy, robust Washington Syrah.   Our Pairing Suggestion
Is this an American take on a Vietnamese classic or a Vietnamese take
on an American classic? Either way, these spicy burgers topped with
Tabasco-spiked mayonnaise, slivers of crunchy pickled carrots and
sprigs of cilantro are wonderful. ]
1. Preheat the oven to 400. In a small bowl, toss the carrots with the
rice vinegar and sugar and let stand for 10 minutes; drain.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the Tabasco, tomato
paste and garlic and season with salt and pepper.
3. Form the meat into four 6-inch-long oval patties, about 1 inch
thick. Season with the curry powder and salt and pepper. In a large
skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Cook the patties over moderate
heat, turning once, until medium, about 12 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, spread the butter on the cut sides of the baguette. Set
the bread cut side up on a baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes,
until lightly toasted. Spread the Tabasco-spiked mayonnaise on the
bread and top each baguette section with a burger patty, pickled
shredded carrots, pickled jalapeo slices and cilantro sprigs. Close the
sandwiches and serve hot.
Make Ahead The Tabasco mayonnaise and pickled shredded carrots can be
refrigerated for up to 2 days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce