Joyce's Vietnamese Chicken Meatballs In Lettuce Wraps

My husband's plate was the picture plate tonight.  He put WAY
too much siriacha!
The odds of me liking this dish were a million to one.  I don't like chicken. I loathe seeing it raw, particularly the dark meat.  If I see it raw I am grossed out and don't want to eat it.  Chicken thighs smell awful raw. I hated this dish from the moment I started it.  Add to that that I am sick and tired and in a bad mood. Oh and they looked like wet garbage.  Loose, wet "meatballs" that didn't hold their shape and of smelly gross looking chicken and green paste.  (I know I am totally selling you on this dish right?:)  I was gong to skip dinner since I really had no appetite but I am a big girl and very much interested in the culinary arts, so I was going to at least try them.  I don't have to like everything but I do need to try everything for knowledge's sake.  I steel myself for horror I am about to put in my mouth and found myself thinking it wasn't too bad.  The boys devoured them.  They loved them.  I was ok with never making them again, but I have to admit, I ate three, so did kind of  like them.  (Just so you can keep score I believe my husband ate 16;)  The chicken thighs came in a two pound package and we doubled the recipe.  Also there was no lemongrass to be found at the store so I used a refrigerated lemongrass puree I found in the produce section.  As it is most likely more moist than minced lemongrass stalk and I had no idea how much to put in (I ended up with 2-3 tablespoons), those things may have made the mixture more wet than called for.  I also think that doubling the amount of fish sauce may have not been needed.  More than the original recipe, but I think it was a bit too much liquid.  (flavor wise it was fine)

Joyce's Vietnamese Chicken Meatballs In Lettuce Wraps

1 lb Chicken Thighs,boneless, Skinless & trimmed of visi
3 T  Asian fish sauce
3    small shallots,finely chopped
3    garlic cloves,minced
1    stalk of fresh lemongrass tender white inner bulb only, minced
3 T  chopped cilantro,plus 1/3 cup leaves for serving
1 T  finely chopped mint,plus 1/3 cup leaves for serving
1 1/2 t  cornstarch
1/2 t  kosher salt
1/2 t  freshly ground pepper
1/2 c  granulated sugar
1    head Boston or red leaf lettuce,leaves separated
1    small seedless cucumber—peeled,halved lengthwise and th
1    small red onion,halved and sliced
Asian chili sauce,for serving
[Note:  .  The Spanish grape Verdejo has a citrusy zing that goes
perfectly with this sweet-spicy lettuce-wrapped chicken. It grows in
the Rueda region in   north-central Spain. Our Pairing Suggestion    ]
1. Preheat the oven to 400. Position a rack in the top third of the
oven.   In a food processor, pulse the chicken until coarsely ground;
transfer to a bowl. Add the fish sauce, shallots, garlic, lemongrass,
chopped cilantro and mint, cornstarch, salt and pepper and mix with
your hands.
2. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the
sugar on a plate. Using slightly moistened hands, roll the chicken
mixture into 1 1/2-inch balls. Roll the meatballs in the sugar until
they are evenly coated. Transfer the meatballs to the prepared baking
sheet and bake them for 15 minutes, until they are lightly browned and
cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, arrange the lettuce, cilantro and mint leaves, cucumber
and onion on a platter. Transfer the meatballs to the platter and serve
with chili sauce.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce