Kale-Chorizo Frittata

I decided to make this to use up the rest of the kale from the lentil stew.  I cooked off the kale when I made the stew because I was afraid that it would get funky in the fridge uncooked.  I was worried about this recipe when I started sauteing the onion and chorizo. They really filled the pan 10" pan called for in the recipe and I didn't see how with the kale and eggs it would fit in an already full skillet.   So I bust out my 11.5" pan and get it ready to cook the frittata in, oil and all.  I test my theory by slowly adding the egg mixture to the 10" pan. It was a perfect fit. Doh!  So I dump out the 10" pan into a bowl and wipe it out.  Add the oil from the 11.5" pan to the 10' one and follow the recipe.  I set the timer for 8 minutes when I was cooking it on low and added one minute at a time until the required 1" border was set.  It took 11 minutes on my stove. I then baked it for about 17 minutes and it was set.  I liked it; the boy requested I not ever make it again.;)  My husband will eat it later when he gets home.  I would have liked less chorizo and more kale.  I am not deleting it but will make it with different proportions.

Update:  My husband ate it reheated later that night and loved it:)

Kale-Chorizo Frittata

 3    Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
 1/2 lb chorizo,cut into small dice
 1    large onion,thinly sliced
 8    large eggs
 1/2 c  whole milk
 1    Tbs. all-purpose flour
 1    -1/2 tsp. kosher salt
 Freshly ground pepper
 1/2 lb kale,trimmed, cooked until tender in salted water
1/2 t  Spanish paprika (pimentón)

In a 10-inch ovenproof anodized aluminum or nonstick skillet, heat 1
Tbs.   olive oil over medium heat. Add the chorizo and onions and cook,
stirring frequently, until the chorizo is browned and the onions are
tender. Let the mixture cool slightly (it can be warm when added to the
eggs, but not piping hot).
Heat the oven to 350F. In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the whole milk,
flour (dont worry if the flour forms small lumps), salt, and several
grinds of pepper. Combine the chorizo, onions, kale, and pimentn with
the egg mixture, folding them in gently.
Wipe out the skillet, add the remaining 2 Tbs. olive oil and return it
to medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the egg mixture, spreading
everything evenly. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the
eggs are set about 1 inch in from the sides of the pan, 8 to 12 minutes.
Uncover the pan and transfer the frittata to the oven. Bake until the
top is puffed and completely set, 15 to 25 minutes more.
Remove the pan from the oven and run a rubber spatula around the sides
of the pan to loosen the frittata. Slip it out of the pan and onto a
cutting board. Let the frittata cool for at least 10 minutes before
cutting. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce