Chicken Cordon Bleu Paninis

So I saw a snippet of a recipe for  chicken cordon bleu sandwich.  Intrigued, I decided to create my own,  I believe the original sandwich was more like the original dish with a chicken breast fried and then the ham, cheese and dijon added to the sandwich.  I wanted to do more of a panini than a fried chicken sandwich.  Other than hamburgers, I prefer a thinner sandwich and thinly sliced meats.  You could just make it like a grilled cheese, but I like the panini pan for the appearance and crispiness it gives the sandwich.  It was a super fast, and delicious dinner.  In fact my son declared it was this third favorite dish of all time!  I was totally loving it but I don't know if I would go that far.  The measurements for the sandwich depend on the size of your bread and on your personal preferences.
Start with the bread.  Give it a thin coating of dijon mustard evenly over the entire length of both pieces. Next the cheese.  Place a single layer of cheese over both pieces of bread. (I ripped up the cheese to try and cover as much surface area as possible)  Next the meat.  I think to try and keep the original proportions of the dish the ham should be 1/3 as much as the chicken.  I used honey cured ham and loved it but I think any ham could work. Carefully fold the sandwich together.  Then I melted some butter in the panini pan.  I took the top piece of bread and dredged the non mustard side and coated it with the melted butter and replaced it on the sandwich.  I needed a little more butter in the pan so I added some.  When it melted, I put the sandwich in to the pan with the non buttered side down and put the weight on top of the sandwich.  I cooked it over medium for about 3-4 minutes. (until golden brown) Flip and repeat.:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce