Egg Rolls

After winning, what I would call, a key battle with my kitchen food storage devices, I decide to push while I had the advantage.  I had bought way too many salad greens, so I knew I wanted salad to be the main part of our meal, but that wouldn't satisfy the boys.  I had some carrots, scallions and egg roll wrappers to use, so I bought some napa and mushrooms to finish out the filling.  I don't recall ever making egg rolls myself; I have eaten plenty however.  I have made plenty of dumplings and crab Rangoon so I figured these would be something I could figure out.   I was more critical than my husband. (but aren't we all of our own work?)  For sure, I didn't drain the filling enough.  The inside was a bit wet and one half of the roll was not as crisp despite the busting out of the deep fryer. I thought I didn't put enough filling in each roll too.  At the end of the meal, my darling husband ate 5 1/2 so I guess his pronouncement of outstanding wasn't totally unwarranted;).  My poor boy, who loathes mushrooms, spotted a mushroom in the plastic container they were in when taking them to the recycle bin.  He suspected mushrooms were in the dinner, I managed to lie with a straight face.  Now he suspected trickery!  I wanted him to give the egg rolls  a fair chance and because I wasn't putting any meat in the rolls, I though they needed something like mushroom for that meaty flavor. He declared that he loved the egg rolls (his father told him that the brown spots were lentils).  But, while we were playing the ingredient guessing game, my husband guesses lentils.  Arrgh!  Guess that after he has eaten more!  When I said no, the boy looks at me and with accusatory horror and a wee bit of ha I figured it out and you LIED, says mushrooms!  When I say yes, the delicious egg rolls were now choked down fighting gags.  Go figure.

Egg Rolls

1 Head Nappa Cabbage, thinly sliced
1 large scallion, thinly sliced
2 large carrots, grated
8 ounces mushrooms, thinly sliced (I minced them to hide them from the boy)
2 tablespoons ginger, grated
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chili sauce
1.5 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin
1 package of egg roll wrappers
Vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of cornstarch

Heat a tablespoon or two of oil over medium high in a large skillet.  Add the mushrooms and a bit of salt and cook until the mushrooms have released their water and most of it has evaporated.  Add the carrots and scallions and cook until soft.  Add the garlic and the ginger and saute until fragrant.  Add the cabbage and cook until the leaves of the napa are wilting.  Add the soy and mirin and cover and steam until the ribs of the napa are soft. (2-3 minutes) Remove lid and add chili sauce and stir. Sprinkle the cornstarch over the veggies and stir and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
DRAIN THOROUGHLY  (I forgot this;)
Let the mixture cool.  Put the wrapper on a plate in front of you as a diamond.  Place several heaping spoonfuls across the wrapper in the center from the left point of the diamond to the right.  Dip your fingers in to some water and wet the edges of the wrapper.  Fold over the bottom point over the filling and tuck the point.  Fold in the right and left points.  Roll up from the bottom fairly tightly.  Place under a damp kitchen towel until time to fry.
Fry at 350 until golden

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce