Italian-Sausage Burgers With Garlicky Spinach


I am totally not a fan of sausage.  In small bits its workable for me.  I can enjoy it on pizza or in sausage gravy but I never get it as a breakfast side or eat it as the main component as the meal.  I was making this one for the boys who love sausage. (that and my quest for an excellent burger for our next progressive dinner;) Imagine my surprise when I found myself totally digging the burger! I loved the spinach; it was awesome. I did use the anchovy paste and used only mild Italian sausage.  Next time I would like to try 1/2 mild and 1/2 hot.

Italian-Sausage Burgers With Garlicky Spinach
10    ounces baby spinach
2 T  extra-virgin olive oil,plus more for brushing
2    garlic cloves,minced
1 t  anchovy paste (optional)
Salt
1 lb sweet or hot Italian sausages (or a combination of both) casings removed
4 sl of provolone cheese
1/4 c  sun-dried-tomato pesto
4    round ciabatta rolls,split and toasted
[Note: Food & Wine reccomended a berry-inflected Zinfandel as their Pairing Suggestion   ]
1. In a large skillet, bring 1/4 inch of water to a boil. Add the
spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, about 1 minute; drain
and press out as much water as possible. Wipe out the skillet.
2. In the same skillet, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil until
shimmering. Add the garlic and anchovy paste and cook over high heat,
stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. Add the spinach, season with salt
and stir just until coated, about 10 seconds.
3. Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Using slightly moistened
hands,  form the sausage meat into four 4-inch patties, about 3/4 inch
thick. Brush the burgers with oil and grill over moderate heat until
browned and crusty on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Carefully flip the
burgers. Top with the cheese and grill until the burgers are cooked
through and the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes longer. Spread the
pesto on the rolls. Top with the burgers and spinach and serve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce