Mustardy Potato Pierogies

I had gotten some potatoes from my Front Porch Pickings basket.  I know that the potatoes were going to be the last thing that would spoil, but today is Sunday and I had more time to play with the dough.  Dough is my nemesis.  I hate making it, it is always too sticky and flour enjoys messing with my measurements and doughs.  I avoid dough making at all costs.  At least the dough that needs to be kneaded. (giggle)  I enjoyed this dish despite the fact that my kitchen looks like a flour and dirty dish bomb went off.  The boy was liking it, but said when he dipped it in some of his salad's balsamic vinegar it became a tasty favorite.  I could never count it as a favorite just because of my battle with the dough; also my Lithuanian great grand father always made pierogies with beef and mushroom filling and that is kind of what I think of when I think of pierogies.  All in all tasty if someone other than me makes it:).  This recipe is from  via Food & Wine magazine.  I gotta say that of my top five, wish I had the money and time to go eat at their restaurant, is 1,2 or 3 depending on my mood.  Until I become really rich, this is going to have to be a dream;)


Mustardy Potato Pierogies

PIEROGI DOUGH
2 1/2 c  all-purpose flour
1 c  sour cream
1    large egg,beaten
1    large egg yolk,beaten
4 T  unsalted butter,melted
1/2 t  salt
FILLING
3/4 lb medium Yukon Gold potatoes
3 T  sour cream
1 1/2 T  Dijon mustard
4 T  unsalted butter,softened
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Vegetable oil,for coating
1 T  chopped parsley
1. MAKE THE PIEROGI DOUGH In a large bowl, mix the flour with the
sour cream, egg, egg yolk, butter and salt. On a lightly floured work
surface,   knead the dough briefly until smooth. Cover the dough with
plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 15 minutes.
2. MEANWHILE, MAKE THE FILLING In a medium saucepan, cover the
potatoes with water and boil until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain the
potatoes and peel them as soon as possible. In a bowl, mash the
potatoes with the sour cream, mustard and 2 1/2 tablespoons of the
butter until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. On a floured work
surface, roll out the pierogi dough 1/8 inch thick. Using a 3 1/2-inch
biscuit cutter, stamp out 20 rounds. Brush off any excess flour and
moisten the edge of each round with water. Place a level tablespoon of
the potato filling on one side of each round, leaving a 1/4-inch border.
Fold the dough over the filling to form half-moons and press the edges
firmly to seal.
4. Cook the pierogies in the boiling water until tender, about 5
minutes. Drain well and transfer to a large, shallow dish. Add a little
vegetable oil and toss to coat lightly.
5. In a large skillet, melt the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter.
Add the pierogies and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until
browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the pierogies to a platter.
Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
Make Ahead The pierogies can be prepared through Step 4 and
refrigerated for up to 3 days

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce