Anchovy Sauce

I have a pasta sauce cookbook I got from my MIL.  It has lots of really great recipes.  It is called Sauces for Pasta.  It is a small, simple, cookbook that only has sauce recipes.  Many of our favorite pasta sauces have come from here. Tonight, I wanted to try another one, and the anchovy sauce has intrigued me from the beginning.  I think anchovy paste makes some dishes amazing, but the little bone filled fillets have filled me with something close to terror:).  This recipe only called for two, which, almost, seemed like too little, but in the end it wasn't.  My major issue with the book, and the sauce, is that there is no guidance on the amount of pasta you should serve the sauce with.  I have always made the assumption that it was either 3/4-1 pound of pasta.  I used 3/4 of a pound, but it seemed like much too little sauce.  I added another tablespoon of butter at the end just to make sure every noodle was coated.  I also felt it needed a bit of salt.  The two fillets were very small, so that might have been part of the problem.  All my "issues" aside, we all cleaned our plates and some went back for more.  As always we had a simple salad to go with it. It was a pretty speedy meal; since it called for thin pasta, I used angel hair.  Angel hair cooks really quick and helped keep the cook time short.

 Anchovy Sauce

1/3 c  Olive Oil
1/4 c  Butter,Unsalted
4 ea Garlic,Minced
2    Anchovy Fillets,Minced
1/3 c  White Wine,Dry
1/4 c  Parsley,Chopped
1 t  Black Pepper
Heat the oil and the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat.  Add
the garlic and saute until pale gold, about 3 minutes.  Blend in the
anchovies and wine and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until
the anchovies have dissolved completely into the sauce.  About 10
minutes. Stir in the parsley and black pepper.  Serve immediately over
thin pasta.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce