Arroz Con Pollo

I have been wanting to make Arroz con Pollo for a while.  It takes me back to my childhood in Miami.  I had a couple of recipes for it.  When it comes to a popular, iconic, dish, I like to try several recipes to see what I like and what works.  This one is from Food & Wine.  I was sure it would be tasty, as F & W rarely disappoints, but it in no way resembles the dish of my childhood.  The rice isn't yellow. (I was tempted to add food coloring;)  It also didn't have peas!   I think arroz con pollo needs peas.  However, I choose this recipe tonight since I had most of the ingredients.  The recipe from 3 guys from Miami had more that I needed to buy, but I think it will be a better version.  This recipe wasn't particularly hard to make, so that was nice.  As to the taste, I thought it was all right.  My husband liked it more and more as he ate it.  I don't like meat on a bone, so I might be letting my issues get in the way of enjoying the taste.  Not that I disliked it, it just wasn't a wow for me.
Arroz Con Pollo

1 T  olive oil
4    chicken thighs
4    chicken drumsticks
2 t  salt
1/2 t  fresh-ground black pepper
2    ounces smoked ham,cut into 1/4-inch dice
1    small onion,chopped
2 ea garlic,minced
1    red bell pepper,chopped
1    green bell pepper,chopped
1 3/4 c  canned tomatoes,drained and chopped
1 T  tomato paste
2 c  canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
1 c  rice,preferably long-grain
2 T  chopped fresh parsley
1. In a large, deep frying pan, heat the oil over moderately high heat.
Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper. Cook
the chicken, turning, until well browned, about 8 minutes in all.
Remove.  Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the fat from the pan.
2. Reduce the heat to moderately low. Add the ham, onion, and garlic to
the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to
soften, about 2 minutes. Add the bell peppers and cook, stirring
occasionally, until they start to soften, about 3 minutes longer.
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, and the remaining 1 3/4
teaspoons salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper and bring to a simmer.
Stir in the rice and add the chicken in an even layer. Simmer,
partially covered, over moderately low heat until the chicken and rice
are just done, 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce