Camping Cuisine

The last two days we have been camping at Wekiva Springs KOA.  So while we were camping in a tent, we had a site with water and electricity and were conveniently located near the bathrooms and tiki bar. I know some of you (including some members of my family) will not consider that really camping.  For me, that's about as rugged as I get.  I will sleep in a tent, in the summer, if I have a fan.  I will camp, if there is a  proper lavatory somewhere nearby.  If I have those things and coffee in the morning and decent food to eat, I can handle it:).  It is even fun!  Well this trip had all that.  For the meal I was in charge of, I made 3 variations on the 'Grilled Loaf' to throw on the fire.  The main difference I made for the camping version, is in it's construction.  After I hollowed out the bread, I lined the entire 'bowl' with cheese, sides included. That way, I hoped to prevent any sogginess in the bread because I was making these before we left.   I then filled it with whatever fillings I needed for that particular sandwich and wrapped the whole thing in a double layer of heavy duty aluminum foil.  I then put the foil wrapped loaf back into it's plastic bag I got it in from the bakery and wrote on the label with permanent marker the kid of sandwich it was.  They then went into the cooler for cooking that evening.  The plastic bag was great at preventing the melting ice from wetting the bread.  That night, we put the foil packets on a grate over the fire.  The sandwiches were ready in about 15 minutes.  The only thing is you must turn them frequently and move them around a bit.  The fire is uneven heat and more intense than an oven or grill. One of the sandwiches got a bit singed on one part, but we just trimmed off the burnt bread, and all was good. The fillings are listed below, in the order I put them in the bread but not in recipe format.  It's pretty self explanatory.

Turkey Pesto
Provolone
Turkey
Basil Pesto
Salami
Then repeat once more and end with Provolone on top

Roast Beef and Cheddar
Cheddar
Roast Beef
Horseradish Mayo
(Repeat, end with cheese)  I did use the last teaspoon of aioli I had too;)

Cuban
Swiss
Honey Ham
Pickles
Roasted Pork
Dijon Mustard
(repeat as above, ending with cheese)

Sorry about no pictures,  presentation is out when camping.

Comments

  1. Camping sounds like so much fun! I haven't been camping in 10 years - way too long. KOA spots are the best. The grilled loaves sounds delicious, especially the cuban :)

    I wanted to let you know that I nominated you for an award - visit my site for more info (lauriescravings.blogspot.com). I enjoy your blog and look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The koa we went to was very cool. It had a HUGE spring fed swimming area with a slide and a waterfall. The canoeing was great too. We saw a 9' gator who got a little too close for comfort;)

      Delete
    2. The koa we went to was very cool. It had a HUGE spring fed swimming area with a slide and a waterfall. The canoeing was great too. We saw a 9' gator who got a little too close for comfort;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce