Eggs Baked In Roasted Tomato Sauce

For meatless Monday, I decided to try to eggs baked in tomato sauce.  I have been wanting to try a roasted tomato sauce anyways, and I do like baked eggs.  The tomato sauce was very easy, and super tasty.  I think it would be a great pasta sauce too.  If you make the sauce ahead  of time, it would be a tasty breakfast.  While it takes 15 minutes to bake, you can be getting ready while it cooks.  I loved this dish!  I accidentally over cooked the eggs.  I have this new microwave that beeps once when the timer goes off and them waits like a minute before it beeps again.  Needless to say, I didn't hear the first (maybe first couple) beep.  Even with the mostly cooked yolks, I loved it.  We had it with some toast, but I think I would like crusty bread better.  You need the bread to sop up that sauce!
Eggs Baked In Roasted Tomato Sauce

1 1/2 lb plum tomatoes,halved lengthwise
2    garlic cloves,smashed
2 T  extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 t  chopped oregano
8    large eggs
2 T  freshly grated -Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400. In a roasting pan, toss the tomatoes and
garlic with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the
tomatoes cut side up and roast for 15 minutes; turn and roast until
soft,    20 minutes. Let cool, then scrape the mixture into a blender
and puree.  Add the oregano.
2. Set 4 shallow ovenproof bowls on a baking sheet. Strain the pureed
sauce into the bowls, pressing on the solids. Crack 2 eggs into each
bowl and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the cheese over the eggs
and bake the eggs for about 15 minutes, until the whites are just set.
Serve hot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce