Eggs In A Nest

 I have no idea where I got this recipe.  I'm pretty sure it came in one of my recipe of the day emails, but when I googled the recipe, none were quite like this one.  I thought the idea of whipping the whites and then nestling a yolk in them was intriguing and my whole family is a huge fan of a runny yolk! I honestly don't see how anyone can't be but I'm sure there are some out there.  The dish is pretty good and we all liked it, but it could have been a great dish with some changes.  The most important change would be a sauce.  We suggested, hollandaise, cheese, and even just a compound butter would have helped.  I also would have cooked it less than 15 minutes; the yolks were almost completely set.  The only thing that was a bit odd, and that can't be changed unless you change the whole dish, was the texture of some of the whites.  My son hated it at first, but the inside part wasn't so bad and he declared he liked it better once he got used to it.  It was easy, and fast.  It could be made for breakfast if you want to take a bit more time with your weekday morning meal.  And, I think you can't get much less expensive than this.  All in all, a recipe worth keeping, but tweaking.  Next time I want to try smoked salmon!

Eggs In A Nest

4    English muffins,split
8    thin slices prosciutto country ham, or smoked salmon
8    large eggs,separated
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
Lightly toast the English muffins either in a toaster or in the oven on
the baking sheet.
Arrange the toasted muffin halves on the baking sheet. Place a slice of
ham or salmon on the cut side of each.
In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft
peaks form. Pile the whites on each muffin, covering it (and the ham or
salmon) completely. Use the back of a spoon to make a depression in the
center of each. Place a yolk in each depression.
Place in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, until the whites are
lightly browned and the yolks are just set. Sprinkle with a little sea
salt and pepper and serve immediately.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce