Wasabi Almonds

I have an absolute addiction to the Blue Diamond Wasabi and Soy almonds!  I could eat them until my eyes water, and then eat some more.  They are not the cheapest snack, especially when you eat them like I do.  I need to limit myself to the one ounce portion size recommended for heart health;).  So, when I saw that blue diamond had a recipe for wasabi almonds, I couldn't wait to try them out.  (my previous attempts to recreate them have never lived up to the original!)  The first thing I saw was that I had been seriously under portioning the wasabi powder.  This recipe called for 2 whole tablespoons!  I liked the fact it called for an egg white; I individually freeze egg whites whenever I need just a yolk.  I am always looking to thin out the bulging pantry and fridge/freezer.  When I reached the stir part in the baking, I noticed that the almonds were stuck in a giant chunk.  So when I "gently stirred" I actually beat the almonds apart with a wooden spoon:).  The end result was very tasty, but they aren't the sinus clearing awesomeness that the Blue Diamond ones are.  I think I will have to include soy next time I make them.


Wasabi Almonds
1    egg white
1 T  water
1 lb (3 cups) whole natural almonds
2 T  wasabi powder
2 t  coarse salt
2 t  cornstarch
Preheat oven to 275F. Line a sided baking sheet with greased foil or
parchment paper. Whisk egg white and water together until foamy. Add
almonds and toss to coat. Transfer to a sieve; toss gently and let
drain.
Stir together wasabi powder, salt and cornstarch in a large bowl. Add
almonds and toss to coat. Spread almonds on baking sheet in a single
layer, and bake 30 minutes. Gently stir, reduce temperature to 200F and
continue baking 20 more minutes. Let cool completely before serving.
Serve, or store airtight for up to a week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce