Spicy Indian-Style Scrambled Eggs

I thought this recipe was a very tasty, fast, easy and different meatless Monday recipe.  I did make 2 small alterations.  I had a yellow onion and used it; I also had one large jalapeno and I used that in place of a really hot chile.  I figured the kids would handle that better. It didn't end up very spicy at all.  You can always add heat with hot sauce, but can't take it away.   Oh and I doubled the recipe, but that didn't change it:).  I loved it and so did my husband.  My son ate it but didn't rave about it, and the two year old ate a couple of bites but didn't want eggs with "salad".  Anything green in her food and she gets upset.  I also didn't have roti.  I had some frozen naan from the local Indian grocery, and it was perfect.  The prep took longer than the actual cooking. If you did that the night before (or have extra time in the morning;), it would be a fast breakfast too.



Spicy Indian-Style Scrambled Eggs
2 Servings

4    large eggs
1/4 t  ground cumin
Pinch of turmeric
Kosher salt
1 T  vegetable oil
1    small red onion,cut into 1/4-inch dice
1    small hot red or green chile,seeded and very finely chopped
1    garlic clove,minced
1 1/2 t  minced fresh ginger
1    tomato—halved,seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
Pinch of sugar
2 t  chopped cilantro
Roti (see Note), naan, or toast for serving

1. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs with the cumin, turmeric and 1/2
teaspoon of salt. In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil.
Add the onion, chile, garlic and ginger and cook over high heat until
the onion just begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the tomato, season
with salt and the sugar and cook for 1 minute. Reduce the heat to
moderately low and pour in the eggs. Cook, stirring constantly, until
the eggs are just set, about 1 minute. Fold in the cilantro and serve
with roti or toast.

Notes Roti is a type of unleavened Indian flat bread.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce