Bacon-Wrapped Matzo Balls

My son got to pick a recipe from the 'to try' file, and I was very excited to try this one.  It is from Top Chef winner Ilan Hall and I saw it on 'The Best Thing I Ever Ate'.  I had a hard time finding the recipe online.  I think I finally got it off a youtube video. (that's why no link)  I, personally think that bacon wrapped things (I'm thinking scallops in particular) never have the bacon done enough to my liking.  So I changed the recipe a bit, but wish I hadn't.  We decided to lightly cook the bacon first.  My husband thought we should leave them in longer than I did, and as I hate floppy bacon I thought he was right.  We should have wrapped them raw.  I think the cooking time would have made them crispy enough.  As for the schmaltz, I didn't have any so I used 1 tbsp bacon fat and 1 tbsp olive oil.  They were yummy.  I think all bacon fat would have been too much.  Next time, I would like to make them bite sized and wrap them with a half a slice of bacon.  I don't want them to be knife and fork:)




Bacon-Wrapped Matzo Balls
 2 Tbsp. schmaltz/fat if you can’t find schmaltz you can use oil
 2    lightly beaten eggs. Add
1/2 c  matzo meal and
1 t  salt. When well blended,add
2 T  soup stock or water.
Mix 2 Tbsp. schmaltz/fat (ask the butcher, or use vegetable oil if
you cant find schmaltz, though your matzo balls will not be as fluffy
inside with oil) with
2 lightly beaten eggs. Add
½ cup matzo meal and
1 tsp. salt. When well blended, add
2 Tbsp. soup stock or water.
Cover and refrigerate at least half an hour. In a 3 qt. pot, bring
salted water to a boil. Reduce heat so that water is bubbling. Wet
hands and form golf ball-sized matzo balls and gently drop into water.
Yields about six balls of this size. Cover and boil 30 to 40 minutes
until fluffy and matzo balls rise to top of water. You can either add
them to warm soup or After boiling the matzo balls, wrap each in a strip of bacon (we prefer
the flavor of uncured bacon) and place it seam-side down on a foil-
covered baking sheet.   Roast in a 400-degree oven for about 15-
20 minutes, until the bacon is to desired crispiness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce