Korean Bibimbap With Sesame Chicken

While I happened to love this dish, there were some issues to note and some of the family weren't as enthusiastic.  This was a quick and tasty meal if you keep one thing in mind, the last ingredient line is the only sauce/ seasoning that this dish really has.  Without it, there is just a little bit of soy sauce and sesame oil.  I had a fermented pepper paste. (see picture below) that I had gotten for my friend's Korean Pork BBQ.  I seem to remember looking up 'spicy Korean red bean paste' when I first got this recipe and my stuff came up as an image, so I used that and it made it wonderful.  My husband thought with out the sauce it was a 2 and with it a 3.  I thought with the sauce a 4.  My blog, so I call it a 4:D.  The most amazing thing about tonight's dinner, MY BOY LIKES SHIITAKE MUSHROOMS!!!  This from the kid who gags at the thought of mushrooms.  He has enjoyed their flavor when they are ground up in something, but has always said the texture put him off.  Now all other mushrooms are taboo, but shiitakes are ok and that is really fine with me, they are one of, if not my all time, favorite mushroom.  I think I want to try growing them.



Korean Bibimbap With Sesame Chicken

1 c  peeled and grated carrots
Kosher salt
1    Tbs. toasted sesame oil
3    Tbs. canola or peanut oil
2    medium zucchini,cut in half lengthwise, then cut into 1/2" slices
1 ea garlic,minced
6 oz shiitake mushrooms,stemmed and caps thinly sliced
3 c  thinly sliced leftover roasted chicken (or store-bought rotisserie chicken)
1    Tbs. soy sauce
6 c  hot steamed medium-grain rice
3    Tbs. sesame seeds,toasted in a dry skillet over medium heat
4    scallions (white and green parts),trimmed and thinly sliced
Spicy Korean red bean paste or Thai chili paste

In a small bowl, toss the carrots with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. of the
sesame oil.
Heat 1-1/2 Tbs. of the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over
medium-high heat until shimmering hot. Add the zucchini, sprinkle with
about 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. of the sesame oil and cook, stirring a
few times, until it browns in places and becomes tender, about 4
minutes.   Transfer to a large plate.
Return the skillet to the heat and add the remaining 1-1/2 Tbs. canola
oil and the garlic. Once it begins to sizzle, add the mushrooms and
cook,   stirring, until tender and starting to brown, about 3 minutes.
Add the chicken and cook, tossing, until heated through, about 2
minutes. Stir in the soy sauce and the remaining 1 tsp. sesame oil and
cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
Fluff the rice with a fork and divide it between 4 large bowls. Top
each serving with the zucchini on one side, the carrots on the other,
and some of the chicken mixture in the middle. Sprinkle with the sesame
seeds, then the scallions. Serve immediately with the spicy bean paste
if you like.
The Pepper paste I got at my local Asian Market.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce