Ode to Sally Ride

Tonight we have a guest blogger, my son.(he is 11)  He had a reading project that included a creative aspect.  I'm happy and proud that he chose the culinary one.  He made the entire diner himself.  I assisted only with advice and the occasional sous chef duty.  He chose the meal, chopped, put things in and out of the oven and got the occasional grease spatter that happens when you prepare a meal.  I loved watching him work and am so amazed (but not surprised) at how well he did.  I am giving him the post tonight; I am only writing this intro and typing in the ingredients for the  recipe.

Casserole Sauteed Pork Chops with Mustard, Cream and Tomato Sauce
[Cotes de porc Sauce Nenette]

Ingredients
6 Pork Chops 1" thick (we made only 4)
3-4 Tbsp Rendered Pork Fat, Lard or Cooking Oil (we used bacon fat)
2 Tbsp Butter
2 Cloves Garlic, halved
Salt, Pepper and Thyme
1 1/2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
1/4 salt
pinch pepper
1 Tbsp Dry English Mustard Powder
2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
2 Tbsp Chopped Basil or Parsley (we used Basil)

And without further ado, my boy:



Ode to Sally Ride

As my project/ memorial to Sally Ride, I decided to cook her favorite foods. According to the Internet, her favorite foods are: pork chops, green beans, and bacon. I chose her biography because my family is a science family. We went through many cook books, and I picked a Julia Child recipe. Although, it did not have green beans or bacon. So we made some green beans with bacon sprinkled in it to go along side it.
You start by preheating the oven to 325 degrees. Put paper towels on a plate, then the pork chops, on top, put more paper towels. After drying the pork chops, heat the casserole until moderately hot, then add the fat or oil. After melting, add them in 2 or 3 at a time to brown, about 4minutes a side. Afterwards, season with salt, pepper, and ¼ tsp of sage or thyme( I chose thyme). Remove the fat (I removed a little) and add the butter and optional garlic. Add the chops back. Cover and heat until meat is sizzling. Place casserole in lower third of oven and cook for 25 to 30 minutes and baste once or twice.
While that’s cooking, simmer the cream, salt, and pepper in a small sauce pan for 8 to 10 minutes. Then beat the mustard and tomato paste together, then add the hot cream. After removing the casserole, take out the chops. Add the cream to the casserole and simmer for 4minutes. Stir in the herbs and pour the sauce over the pork chops. Finally, we cut raw bacon, sauteed it until crisp, then we added the green beans and sauteed them until tender, but still crisp. If you make this, you’ll be glad you did. 

In memory of Sally Kristen Ride, the first woman in space.

Making the Sauce

Comments

  1. Wow, a young man with talent AND good taste! Congrats to your son on a great meal. I'm sure you are very proud.
    ~ Mary ~ HowDoYouCook.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary! I really am:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce