Harissa, Chilli, Sausage And Rocket Topping Pizza

Day 7 of the war on food clutter, and today's recipe doesn't even count as hit.  I decide to tackle the newly promoted fridge combatant, harissa, again.  Why isn't this really an effective attack?  Well, the harissa is like a hot sauce, and will keep in there a while, and we eat hot sauce on a lot of things and this is a tasty one.  So, I am not really getting rid of anything I am letting clutter up my kitchen as a useless ingredient.  I refuse to say it wasn't a clean up recipe, just not an effective one.  I like the pizza tonight, but I wasn't really wowed.  It might be that I am not the biggest fan of sausage.  The boys seemed to like it.  The BLT last night was so much better.  I like the topping of the pizza with the arugula.  It was nice.  I don't think this really qualifies as pizza.  There is no, cheese.  It looked like a pizza but it is really more of an open face sandwich.  I feel a little cruel.  I told the kids we were having pizza for dinner and this is what they got.  Thankfully they really liked it.  Otherwise, I think I would have felt a little bad;).


Harissa, Chilli, Sausage And Rocket Topping Pizza

2    spring onions
1    red chilli (optional)
2    fat sausages
2 tsp  fennel seed
2 Tbsp  harissa sauce
a handful of wild rocket (arugula)
salt and pepper
1 lb pizza dough

Put a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 500 degrees. Trim and finely
slice the spring onions (green and white bit) and halve, deseed and
finely slice the red chilli (if using) and set aside.
Snip the skin of the sausages and then peel it off or squeeze the
sausage meat out. Break the sausage meat into small pieces. (I also like to flatten these small pieces so they are sure to cook all the way through.)  Roll out the dough on a flat, floured surface.  Carefully remove the pizza stone from the oven to a heat proof surface.  Put the rolled out dough on the stone and spread the harissa paste all over the pizza base. I like to leave a
1cm/½in border for aesthetic purposes only! Scatter the onions, chilli, sausage meat and fennel seeds over and season with a little salt and pepper.  Bake for 6-8 minutes, or until the sausage is cooked.  Remove pizza to a cutting board and scatter with the arugula.  Let sit for 5-10 minutes and then slice and eat:)

Before the Arugula
With Arugula




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce