Pdoma Chicken Tacos

I feel like I am on a roll!  Two nights in a row I have improvised a meal, cleaned up some ingredients and it was good!  I had these frozen chicken leg quarters.  I can't handle chicken: raw or on a bone and this was both.  I couldn't eat the chicken.  It just bothers me, but the boys, who love chicken and in particular dark meat, really loved it.  The really, really, loved it.  I made the beans for me, but the boys put a little on the bottom of their tacos.  I made the chicken ala my family's beloved Enchilada Chicken recipe, but with the plan not save the cooking liquid, so I was going to need to find some way to sauce it up a bit.  The solution was a taco seasoning flavored butter.  You can serve these tacos with whatever toppings suit your family's preferences, but I think what we used was pretty perfect.:)

Oh in case you are wondering what the heck Pdoma is, it was something a contractor my husband was talking to at work about where he gets his estimates.  He said usually they are Pdoma.  Pulled directly our of my... well you get the picture.  We got a good laugh about it and now it is part of the family vernacular;)


Pdoma Chicken Tacos

Beans
1.5 Tsp bacon fat
1/2 Green pepper, Diced
3 scallions, sliced
3 Cloves garlic, minced
15.5 ounce can of pinto beans drained
1/4 Cup bloody Mary mix
1/2 Cup broth (I used beef)
1/4 Tsp dried oregano
Sauce
1 Tbl cumin
1.5 Tsp chili powder
1 Tsp salt (not kosher)
1 Tsp chipotle powder
1 Stick unsalted butter
1/4 Tsp garlic  (At Most Use Less To suit your Taste)
Chicken
4 leg quarters
1/2 Tsp garlic powder
1 Tbl oregano
2 Tsp salt

To serve:
Tortillas
Cheese (we used mozzarella)
Hot sauce
Sour cream
Scallions
Cilantro
For the Chicken:
Put the chicken in a pot, cover with water and add seasonings.
Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium low and cook 2-3
hours
(at this point the chicken can be refrigerated for later use.  Just heat
in the sauce)
For the beans:
Melt the fat in a sauce pan over medium heat and sauté the peppers until
almost soft (about 4 minutes)
Add the scallions and sauté until soft (about 2 more minutes)
Add the garlic and sauté 30 seconds
Add the beans, bloody mary mix and broth and bring to a simmer
Reduce heat and use an immersion blender to roughly puree the mixture
Cook on low until desired consistency.  If you want them to be a little
thinner and more like a sauce about 7 minutes.  If you want them more
like refried beans as I did, I cooked mine about 15 minutes.  Either way, stir
occasionally.

For the Sauce:

Melt the butter in a small pan over medium heat
reduce heat to low and add seasonings
cook 1-2 minutes and take off heat
To serve:
Take the meat off the bone and shred
Mix (about 3/4 of) the meat in to the sauce (at this point we tasted and
added meat until the right proportion for us.  I think all would work
fine too)
Put a tortilla on a plate, add a bit of beans, add chicken, top with any
or all of the toppings you like

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce