Ricotta and Bacon Calzone

Not too long ago, I made a lasagna.  I know what you are thinking, but there isn't a lasagna on the blog.  It is true, I didn't put it on the blog.  Why?  Well I think every one and their mother knows how to make a lasagna, and this particular one was nothing special.  Also, I just wanted to go in and clean up some ingredients and relax and cook with out having to write it all down.   However, this applies to this dinner because I made way too much of the ricotta layer.  I put what was left in a gallon zip top bag and pressed it in to a thin layer and froze it.  I have been starring at it wondering what to do with it and since the hamburger calzone came out so good, I thought I would make a lasagna one.  My husband wanted some meat in it, so I let him saute up some bacon (and while he was at, I let him do the onions and garlic as well:).  This is recipe is, unfortunately, very vague.  I know generally what we put in to the ricotta filling, but this one was made a while ago and I am not 100% sure of what all I put in it.  Also, my husband helped and he may try to be exact on his measurements, but he hates cooking that way and I can't be sure that what he thinks he put in the dish is perfectly accurate.  That doesn't mean that this recipe won't work; this is one of those recipes that can be played around with and it will still produce something tasty.

Ricotta and Bacon Calzone

1 1/2 cups of Ricotta filling for lasagna*
6 strips of bacon diced
3 Sun dried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup mozzarella
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb pizza dough at room temp

Put a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 450
Saute the bacon over medium about one minute, add the onion and cook until the onion is soft and the bacon is cooked to your liking.  Add the garlic and cook 45 more seconds. Drain off the fat.
Roll out the dough until it is about an 18" circle
Spread the ricotta over the bottom half, leaving a 3/4 inch border
Top the ricotta with the bacon/onion mixture, the sun dried tomatoes and the mozzarella
Fold over the dough and crimp the edges.  Poke some steam vents with a fork on top
Transfer to the hot stone and bake about 10 minutes. or until dough is cooked and inside is hot (we flipped it over for the last few minutes)

* my filling consists of a large container of whole milk ricotta, 1 can of condensed cream of garlic & mushroom soup, 1 box of frozen spinach, thawed, 1 egg, beaten, a couple of cloves of garlic, minced, and about 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan.


Comments

  1. Ugggh this sounds soooo good! Great job as usual, can't wait to try. Thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce