Sweet And Spicy Barbecued Chicken (Dak Gui)

The original recipe (click link on the recipe title) served this dish in a more traditional way.  (wrapping it in lettuce leaves and other condiments)  I went a little more simple and just had it with some rice and an salad with some "Asian" flavored salad dressing.  I put Asian in quotes because the tahini made me think more middle eastern.  I loved the chicken, but the boys had some issues.  That is most likely because I had some thin breast cutlets for me and they had thighs.  I admit it, I messed up the thighs.  The recipe called for boneless, but there weren't any at the store.  I couldn't pound them thin and long story short, the large thighs weren't great, the small ones were much better.  Even with really liking the marinade flavors on the chicken, the dressing was what I really loved!  I think I will buy more of the plum paste just to make this often!



  
Sweet And Spicy Barbecued Chicken (Dak Gui)

MARINADE
2 Tbl Korean sweet-spicy chili paste (kochujang)
1/4 Cup Korean rice wine or mirin
1 Tbl soy sauce
1 Tbl minced garlic
1 Tbl Sesame Salt*
1 1/2 Tbl Asian sesame oil
2 scallions thinly sliced
1 Tbl finely grated fresh ginger
2 Tsp freshly ground pepper
CHICKEN
8 skinless boneless chicken thighs pounded until flattened slightly

Korean Chili Sauce
1. MAKE THE MARINADE Whisk the marinade ingredients in a large bowl.
2. PREPARE THE CHICKEN  Rub the chicken with coarse
salt, add it to the marinade and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for
at least 2 hours or overnight.
 3. Light a grill. Grill the chicken thighs over a moderately hot fire,
turning once, until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer
the chicken to a platter.

Umeboshi Plum Salad Dressing

1 T finely minced onion
1 T umeboshi paste
3-4 T tahini
1/3 to 1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil (optional)

1. Mince onion and place in a glass jar with lid.
2. Add umeboshi paste and tahini.
3. Gradually stir in water with a whisk.
4. Add toasted sesame oil if desired.
5. Let sit for 30 minutes as it will thicken a bit. Adjust consistency with water if needed.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce