Irish Stew

Well it is St. Patrick's day and to make it a bit of a celebration, I opted for an Irish dish.  I wanted to try making colcannon but I figured this would be better received by the family.  While I have never made colcannon, I did love these Blarney Cakes, so colcannon sounded delightful.  Most of my crew still is a bit leery of greens, so instead this Martha Stewart recipe.   I halved the recipe and I threw the large bones in while the stew was cooking, but those are the only changes I made.  The boys loved it!  I thought it tasted pretty good but it was a bit greasy for me



Irish Stew
 
3 Lb small Yukon gold potatoes peeled
2 medium onions (about 1 pound), halved lengthwise and c
2 1/2 Lb lamb shoulder cut into 1-inch cubes
2 1/2 Tsp coarse salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 Tsp coarsely chopped fresh thyme
3 Cup homemade lamb stock or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
2 Tbl finely chopped fresh curly- or flat leaf parsley

1.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut 1 pound of the potatoes into 1/4-inch-
thick rounds; spread them out in a large (5- to 6-quart) heavy-bottom
pot or Dutch oven. Layer half the onions on top of the potatoes.
2.
Place lamb cubes on top of onions. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt;
season with pepper. Add the thyme. Place remaining onions on top of lamb.
   Add the stock and 1 cup water.
3.
Place whole potatoes on top of onions. Sprinkle with remaining teaspoon
salt; season with pepper. Cover with a tight-fitting lid; bring to a
boil over medium-high heat. Transfer to oven; cook, without stirring, 2
hours. Sprinkle with parsley.



Comments

  1. Yummy Irish Stew, thanks for that!
    Love your layout :)

    Follow back if you can :)

    http://chowdownbythebay.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce