Collard Greens with Dumplings


I love most greens.  Chard, beet, you name it, I love them with two exceptions: Mustard and Collard.  I am not saying I don't like them, but I have never eaten them and been wowed. (well except for the Cornbread Dressing with Sausage and Collard Greens, that was amazing)   I got some collard greens this week in my Front Porch Pickings basket, and decided to try this recipe out.  I had just shy of a pound of the collards, so I cut off the beet greens off my beets I also received in the basket and used them to make up the difference.  The only other change I made was I used dried ancho chiles since I couldn't find any dried chipotle. And guess what?  I loved them!  The boy didn't care much for them; I remember being very sensitive to certain flavors as a kid so I kind of understand, but the adults really dug it!  Since I knew the boys would need something besides this dish, my husband fried up some chicken.  (keeping with the southern theme.  We also drank out of mason jars lol ;)


Collard Greens With Dumplings
 
For the collard greens:
8 ounces bacon medium dice
1 medium yellow onion medium dice
3 medium garlic cloves coarsely chopped
3 dried chipotle chiles
3/4 Tsp kosher salt plus more as needed
1/4 Tsp freshly ground black pepper plus more as needed
2 Cup water
2 Lb collard greens tough stems removed, washed, and cut into bite sized pieces

For the dumplings:
1 Cup all-purpose flour
1 Tsp baking soda
3/4 Tsp granulated sugar
1/4 Tsp fine salt
1/2 Cup well-shaken buttermilk
2 Tbl unsalted butter melted and cooled slightly

For the collard greens:
Place the bacon in a 10-inch Dutch oven or a large, heavy-bottomed pot
over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until brown and crisp,
about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper-towel-
lined plate and discard all but 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat in the
pot.
Add the onion, garlic, chiles, and measured salt and pepper and cook,
stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender and beginning to brown,
about 8 to 10 minutes.
Add the water, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Stir in
the greens a handful at a time, adding more as they wilt, until they're
all in the pot. Cover with a tight fitting lid, reduce the heat to low,
and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the greens are very tender and
almost falling apart, about 30 minutes. Taste and season with additional
salt and pepper as needed.
For the dumplings:
When the greens are ready, place the flour, baking soda, sugar, and salt
in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Add the buttermilk and melted
butter and stir until the flour mixture is moistened and a soft dough
forms.
Drop the dough in heaping tablespoons about 1/2 inch apart into the
simmering greens. Cover and simmer until the dumplings are cooked
through and the tops are no longer sticky, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Remove the chipotle pods from the pot if desired. Sprinkle the greens
with the reserved bacon and serve immediately.





Comments

  1. Yummy that looks fantastic! I've only cooked collard greens once and it was quite unsuccessful haha, I just didn't have enough time! Yours look great :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce