Callaloo with Sautéed Shrimp

I was super excited to have callaloo in this weeks FPP basket. I have seen it going out in the local basket, but it hasn't been in my basket on my weeks. Callaloo is a green. It can be one of several greens used to make a dish of the same name. (and I have no idea which particular one I got.  It can be used like spinach. However, as it is my first time with it, I wanted to use it in one of its traditional forms. What could fit the bill better the aforementioned soup named for the green?  Now, I was a little worried the boy wouldn't adore dinner. (He isn't a fan of greens in general and as a growing tween, he needed some extra calories!). Great call on my part. He really didn't care much for the soup. My husband and I (even the baby girl) really liked the soup. It was a bit spicy by itself, but served with the recommended rice mixed in to the soup it was perfect. (In fact we even added some hot sauce:).   It was a full meal even without the shrimp.  It would a great vegetarian, could even be made vegan, meal.  The coconut and sweet potato tamed the scotch bonnet nicely and the callaloo had a great flavor.  It was a little like spinach.  I loved it and thought it a great ingredient.  I like my soups pureed, so I did use my immersion blender right before serving.  I think it was better that way than chunky.  The shrimp came out good too.  I just sauted some bell peppers and onion in some butter and added a bit of tomato paste and jerk seasoning, and then a pat more of butter. 

Callaloo

2 Tbl unsalted butter
1 Cup chopped yellow onions
1 sweet potato peeled and small diced
2 Tsp minced garlic
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons minced seeded scotch bonnet pepper
1 Tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/2 Tsp salt
1/4 Tsp ground black pepper
1 Lb fresh callaloo leaves or spinach (about 8 cups of leaves), ribs/stems -discarded, well rinsed, and chiffonaded**
3/4 Cup unsweetened coconut milk
3 Cup water

In a large saute pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the
onions and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the sweet potato, garlic,
peppers, thyme, salt, and pepper, and cook stirring for 30 seconds. Add
the greens and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and the
water. Cook, stirring, until the leaves and sweet potatoes are tender
and the liquid is slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Remove from the
heat and adjust the seasoning, to taste.

Serve hot or warm with rice and hot pepper sauce on the side

 ** We just roughly chopped and then used the immersion blender just before serving



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce