Potato and Tatsoi Pizza

We have another first for me in my Front Porch Pickings basket, tatsoi.  I have had it mixed in to a variety of organic salad greens I have gotten from the store, but never all by its self.  So, I turned to my trusty Field to Feast book, and found this recipe for Potato and Tatsoi Pizza.  I didn't make the dough that was in the book, we were at a corn maze all day, but other than that, I followed the recipe exactly even though it cooked the pizza very differently than I do.  The result, the crust was a disaster, but the potato/tatsoi/ricotta combination was really great.  I think if I sliced the potatoes just a tad thinner on the mandoline, I could bake it for less time at 550 like I normally do and the potatoes will get done and crust would be better.  Then this would be really excellent!  We enjoyed dinner despite the uber crunchy bottom crust (the ends of the crust were hard like stale bread).  Also there was plenty of potatoes left.  I wasn't sure if the recipe called for 2 layers of potatoes or the two layers it spoke of was one layer cheese one layer potato.  I erred on the side of caution and only did one layer of potatoes.

Potato and Tatsoi Salad

1 lb pizza dough
1 cup ricotta cheese
4 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 tsp salt, divided
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
3 large Yukon gold potatoes
2 cups tatsoi, roughly chopped
Extra Virgin Olive oil for drizzling
coarse salt to taste

(their instructions.  I would change heat and time)

Place a pizza stone or large rimless baking sheet int eh center rack of the oven and preheat to 450

Combine the ricotta, garlic, 1/4 tsp of the salt and the pepper in a small bowl an set aside

Slice potatoes very thinly using a mandoline.  Place potatoes in a colander and rinse off excess starch.  Toss the potatoes with remaining 1/2 tsp salt and let sit 10 minutes, allowing them to release the excess moisture.  Pat dry with a kitchen towel and set aside.

Form dough into a 14" circle.  Spread dough with ricotta mixture.  Top evenly with potatoes, creating two layers, and discarding any remaining.  Lightly drizzle with olive oil and bake 30 minutes.  (Lies!  it will be done much faster) or until crust is golden brown and the potatoes tender.  Slide out the rack and top with the tatsoi.  Bake 5 minutes longer or until tatsoi is wilted. 

Cool slightly (5 minutes) before slicing.  Drizzle with olive oil and season with coarse salt to taste.



I had plenty of extra potatoes, not tatsoi, so I made one just potato
pizza and drizzled some cream and truffle oil

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce