Chipotle Chilaquiles

I had a huge bag of tortilla chips leftover from our trip to Orlando this weekend.  They were stale, as freshly made tortilla chips from Mexican resturants tend to be after a day, but I can't stand to waste anything but especially food, so I planned on making chilaquiles with them.  I have made a couple of chilaquiles recipes before, but his one, from Rick Bayless on F & W, looked great and was pretty different from the other ones I had made.  I didn't have any leftover chicken, so I simmered 2 breasts for a couple of hours earlier in the day.  I had way more chicken than I needed.  Next time, one should be sufficient.  Like all leftover dishes, this was fast and easy.  Whenever I open a can of chipotles, I freeze the chiles I don't use in a freezer bag, and I had the tortilla chips, so other than the chicken, I had everything on hand.  I love that it was using up stuff I had because it cleans clutter and makes it very economical.   I had just enough leftover to make a breakfast portion for my son which I will top with a fried egg. :)

Chipotle Chilaquiles
 

1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes drained and 1/2 cup liquid reserved
2 chipotles in adobo
1 1/2 Tbl vegetable oil
1 large white onion thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves very finely chopped
1 1/2 Cup chicken stock or low-sodium broth
Salt
8 ounces tortilla chips
1 1/2 Cup shredded chicken
1/4 Cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese or queso aƱejo
1/3 Cup sour cream
1/4 Cup finely chopped cilantro leaves

1. In a blender, combine the tomatoes with their reserved 1/2 cup of
liquid and the chipotles; blend until almost smooth. 
2. In a very large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add two-thirds of the
onion and cook over moderately high heat until browned around the edges,
about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the
tomato puree and simmer, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 5
minutes. Stir in the stock and boil the sauce over moderately high heat
until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and remove
from the heat. 
3. Gently stir the tortilla chips into the sauce, making sure they are
well coated. Top with the remaining onion, the shredded chicken and the
Parmesan cheese. Dollop the sour cream over the chilaquiles, sprinkle
with the cilantro and serve immediately. 
Make Ahead The recipe can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated
overnight. Reheat the chipotle-tomato sauce before proceeding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce