Shakshuka

I had been wanting to try this dish for a while now.  I have seen it show up several times on various food articles I had been reading.  I think this particular recipe was off of pinterest.  It was quick and easy, and my only complaint, which we all shared, was there was too much sauce to egg.  I would add at least 2 more eggs to the amount of sauce.  We all had too much sauce to egg ratio and we didn't even use all the sauce.  I cooked the eggs at a little lower temperature and covered them to prevent spattering.  I also splurged and bought the Muir Glen tomatoes that rated the best taste from the Splendid Table and are BPA free!  They were worth it.  (for BPA free alone) I also thought they weren't too fiery so I added some hot sauce.  They yogurt was great in it and really made the dish.  Harissa is a Tuninsan hot sauce.  It really is unique and I suggest you don't substitute another hot sauce.  I can be made or bought from speciality stores an off the Internet.

Shakshuka
 

2 Tbl olive oil
1 Tsp harissa (add more if desired)
2 Tsp tomato paste
2 large red peppers diced
4 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 Tsp ground cumin
1 (28-ounce can) of diced or crushed tomatoes
6 eggs
1 /2cup labneh or Greek yogurt
1. In a large saucepan -- ideally a pan you can cover with a lid later --
 warm the olive oil over medium heat and then add the harissa, tomato
paste, red peppers, garlic, cumin, and roughly 1/2 teaspoon salt. Saute
for about 10 minutes, until the peppers soften. Add the tomatoes, bring
to a simmer and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the sauce has
thickened. ~
2. Make a half-dozen little indentations in the sauce and then crack an
egg into each. Simmer until the whites are gently set and the yolks are
still wobbly; this will take around 10 minutes, but watch closely--the
eggs go from undercooked to overcooked quickly. (If they're cooking very
slowly, cover the pan and then peek.) Serve the eggs in the sauce, with
the labneh or yogurt on the side. You'll want bread and a simple green
salad. ~
cooking

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce