Welsh Rarebit

Well it is Meatless Monday.  I decided to try a recipe from Food.com.  The person who added this recipe is the same one who added the chicken balti that we LOVE. If you want to see all about her and her recipes click here.  I wanted to make Welsh Rarebit because I loved it when I ate it in England.  It was really good.  My husband didn't say it, but I could tell he thought it seemed a bit plain and not at all the kind of food he is used to getting from me, but he ate 3 of the 6 slices;) so he must have liked it.  The whole process was pretty quick.  One of the biggest chunks of my time was grating the cheese, but I hear that you can buy it already grated;).  (I doubled the recipe but tripled the slices and there was plenty of sauce)

Welsh Rarebit
1    ounce butter
1/2    ounce flour,white flour or  1/2 ounce whole wheat flour
1/4 pt milk,whole milk or 1/4 pint skim milk
4    ounces cheddar cheese (low fat is acceptable)
1    egg yolk
4 T  beer
salt
cayenne pepper,to taste
Worcestershire sauce,to taste
English mustard,to taste
1/2    ounce butter
2 sl toast

1) Melt the 1 oz butter in a pan,add the flour and mix well.
2) Cook on a gentle heat for a few mins without colouring.
3) Gradually add the cold milk and mix to a smooth sauce.
4) Allow to simmer for a few mins,then add the grated or finely sliced
cheese,allow to melt until a smooth mixture is obtained.
5) Add the yolk to the hot mixture, stir in and immediately remove from
the heat.
6) In a separate pan, boil the beer and allow it to reduce to 1/2
tablespoons Add to the mixture with the other seasonings (salt, cayenne,
Worcestershire and mustard).
7) Allow the mixture to cool.
8) Spread on rectangles of buttered toast, place on a baking sheet and
brown under a grill.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce