Harlem Meatloaf

My husband does not like meatloaf.  The only meatloaf he has ever like is the Good Eats Meatloaf I made him try and now it is one of his favorites.  Not only does this recipe for meatloaf taste good because of the flavors in it, but it isn't cooked in the loaf pan so it roasts rather than boils, and it has three sides of glaze!  Any meatloaf recipe I try, I would cook like that, so I was happy to see that this recipe called for the loaf to cook the same way.  I got this recipe from one of my many recipe of the day emails I get; this particular one was from Chow.com.  I thought it looked pretty good and since it used some sausage, I thought my husband might like it.  Well, the issues began as I was shaping the meatloaf, or as my husband suggested 'meat clump'.  It wasn't too bad before cooking, but as it cooked, it morphed in to something very clump like.  In the end, it was alright.  I am not deleting the recipe, but I don't see it getting made any time soon, if ever again.  If you want meatloaf, try to Good Eats Meatloaf.


Harlem Meatloaf

3/4 Cup ketchup
1 Tbl plus 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
3 Tsp Tabasco sauce
1 Lb ground beef (15 to 20 percent fat -content)
8 ounces uncooked sweet Italian sausage casings removed
1 medium yellow onion grated on the large holes of a box grate
1 Slice sourdough or white bread torn into rough 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 Cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/4 Cup dill pickle relish
1 large egg lightly beaten
3 medium garlic cloves finely chopped
1/2 Tsp kosher salt
Heat the oven to 350F and arrange a rack in the middle. Line a rimmed
baking sheet with aluminum foil and set it aside.
Whisk 1/4 cup of the ketchup, 2 teaspoons of the Worcestershire, and 1
teaspoon of the Tabasco in a small bowl until smooth; set aside.
Whisk the remaining 1/2 cup of ketchup, 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire,
and 2 teaspoons of Tabasco in a large bowl until smooth. Add the
remaining ingredients. Using clean hands, mix until everything is just
combined (don't squeeze or overwork the mixture).
Transfer the mixture to the center of the prepared baking sheet. Using
your hands, form it into a 7-by-4-inch loaf. Bake until the meatloaf is
just starting to brown, about 35 minutes.
Evenly spread all of the reserved ketchup mixture over the top and sides
of the meatloaf. Continue baking until the glaze darkens slightly and an
instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 160F, about
20 to 25 minutes more. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let
the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pork Schnitzel with Dill Cream Sauce

Mollet Eggs Florentine

"Porcupine" Meatballs in Cream Sauce